Thursday, February 3

TOEFL Tip #19

Okay, TOEFL fans, time for a vocab development strategy. Complete the following typical iBT vocab question.

1. The word triskaidekaphobia is closest in meaning to...

a) fear of triskaidekas
b) fear of the number thirteen
c) fear of cats
d) I have no idea! Help!

As you can see, triskaidekaphobia is a pretty weird word. I bet it really discombobulates you. But don't worry. Triskaidekaphobia simply means "fear of the number thirteen" (how cool is that!).

So, how often will you use triskaidekaphobia on the TOEFL test? Never. You could try...

When I was a kid, I suffered from triskaidekaphobia so much I couldn't get on an elevator showing thirteen floors or date guys born on the thirteenth of the month.

Sounds pretty good, actually...But seriously, the point is this: Don't memorize big words for the TOEFL test simply because they are big words and have crazy-cool meanings. This is not the way to demonstrate language use to impress the raters. Instead, memorize big words that are synonyms for every day words. Look at the next three examples.

1. The word myriad is closest in meaning to...

a) many
b) pyramid
c) few
d) however

2. The word discombobulated is closest in meaning to...

a) disconcerting
b) honest
c) friendly
d) confused

3. The word conundrum is closest in meaning to...

a) problem
b) condition
c) plan
d) purpose

The answer for 1 is (a), 2 (d), 3 is (a).

Note how each answer is a common English word. When you put all three synonyms together in a sentence, they sound very impressive.

When I first arrived in America, I was faced with myriad conundrums that discombobulated me.

or...

I am in a conundrum because myriad questions on the TOEFL iBT discombobulate me.

or...

Please don't discombobulate me with your myriad conundrums.

or...

That conundrum discombobulated me in myriad ways.

or...

Well, you get the picture....

Notice how I am recycling the same three big synonyms over and over. This is how you remember how to use them in every day life and, more importantly, how you can apply them on the TOEFL test. By using discombobulated, for example, instead of confused, you will demonstrate word choice, which will demonstrate language use proficiency, which will result in a higher writing/speaking score, which will result in a higher final TOEFL iBT score. Think about it. You are a speaking or a writing rate. Which word will impress you more: confused or discombobulated? That's a no brainer.

Word recycling is the unique new scoring strategy I teach in my the TOEFL vocab text 500 Words, Phrases, and Idioms for the TOEFL iBT plus Typing Strategies.

Want to learn more? It's all in the book.

The Pro


This graphic discombobulates me in myriad ways.