Friday, April 8

Sample Independent Essay: What will your friend like/not like about your hometown?

This is another popular independent essay prompt. Everybody who has prepared for the TOEFL iBT has written it. Will this prompt ever appear on the TOEFL iBT? I doubt it very much. ETS tends to use new prompts. But it is good practice nonetheless.
____________________________________________________________

PromptWhat do you think a friend might like and not like about the place you call home? Why? Develop your position using examples and reasons.

What will my friend like and not like when visiting the place I call home, New Delhi, India? Personally speaking, I contend that my friend will like the food however he will not be crazy about the summer temperatures or the crowds.

My friend will like the delicious food in New Delhi. When I am hungry, I go to Sheshraj’s, the best restaurant in New Delhi. The prices are very reasonable and you get a lot of food. The lamb curry is excellent as is the aloo gobi. For a good meal, my friend can spend maybe one American dollar. Eating at Sheshraj’s will definitely give my friend a real New Delhi experience that is both affordable and delicious.
                             
However, my friend will not like summer in New Delhi. The temperature can reach 120F plus the humidity is high as well. This makes New Delhi uncomfortable in the summer. Unlike America, air conditioning is not found everywhere in New Delhi. This is most evident on the trains and buses. With the high temperatures and the high humidity, this can make traveling difficult. Because of these factors, my friend may want to avoid visiting New Delhi in the summer.

As mentioned, New Delhi is crowded. My friend might not like this  because he comes from a small town in Connecticut, so he does not feel the pressure of big city life. Also, he does not see any poverty because Connecticut is wealthy unlike parts of New Delhi which are extremely poor. This might be a big shock for my friend since he is not used to such cultural extremes.

As illustrated, there are many reasons why my friend will like and won’t like New Delhi. However, this should not stop him from visiting. I guarantee he will have a wonderful time.
____________________________________________________________

There is no official word-length rule. However, ETS says an "effective" independent essay will be around 300 words. In this context, "effective" means proficient. Proficient means demonstrating skill and knowledge specific to the task. 

The essay above is exactly 300 words.

Want to learn how to write a high-scoring independent essay? It's all in the book.


The Pro